Fedco's Response to COVID-19
Updated Thursday, April 30, 2020
As the coronavirus (COVID-19) spreads, Fedco is monitoring the situation and taking this threat seriously. There are hundreds of cases of the virus reported in Maine and the CDC recommends strictly limiting gatherings. With this in mind and after additional considerations, we have decided to close all Fedco buildings to the public and also to cancel our annual Tree Sale, originally scheduled for May 1 & 2 and May 8 & 9, 2020. We love the Tree Sale as much as you do and we count on it every year. We have not made these decisions lightly, but unprecedented times call for unprecedented measures. We will keep this page updated as the situation evolves.
Please note: We are experiencing high call volume. Please, only contact us if you absolutely must! If you have questions, please email them to us rather than calling. You can email us at email@example.com.
Placing OrdersAll of our buildings are currently closed to the public and we are not open for any walk-in sales for your safety and for ours. As usual, we do not accept orders over the phone.
- Organic Growers' Supply remains open for mail-order and online shopping.
- Fedco Seeds will begin accepting new orders on May 2nd. See below for more details.
- Ordering will resume for Fedco Trees when we release our 2021 catalog, in early October 2020.
- Ordering will resume for Potatoes, Onions and Exotics when we release our 2021 catalog, in late November 2020.
- Ordering will resume for Fedco Bulbs when we release our 2020 catalog, in mid-June 2020.
A Special Message from our Seeds division
Our warehouse is not open for in-person shopping at this time.
Thank you for your patience and understanding these last few weeks while ordering has been shut off. We have received many notes of support and encouragement from our customers and community, and we are so, so grateful. We have caught up on existing orders, inventoried our remaining seeds to see who we will need to order more of, and worked out a re-opening plan that will allow us to maximize our ability to ship out seed orders while still protecting the health and safety of our wonderful and dedicated workers.
During times such as these, it becomes easier to see the need for and benefits of co-operative values. With an “every person for themselves” mentality, we see grocery shelves emptied of toilet paper, food hoarded and wasted, and important medical supplies misallocated or misused. When we instead choose the path of cooperation and community, we trade fear for resilience. When we share our wisdom and resources with one another, when we take only what we need and acknowledge our own responsibility to ensure there is enough for all, we seed better futures for ourselves and our children.
Updated ordering terms and guidelines for ordering vegetable, flower, and herb seeds:
- Online ordering will open each week on Saturday morning. Ordering will remain open until we’ve reached our weekly order limit -- the amount of orders we are able to safely process in a week. At that point, ordering will shut off until the following Saturday.
- If ordering is shut off while you are still in the process of building your order, the items in your cart will be preserved, and you will be able to complete your order when ordering re-opens on Saturday.
- All orders are processed in the order in which they are received. Please do not call or email to check the status of your order unless it has been at least two weeks since you placed your order, as we have been receiving an unprecedented number of calls and emails. We are also experiencing some delays and disruptions in shipping that are beyond our control.
- We are unable to change or edit orders that have already been placed, and we cannot add items to existing orders. Please ensure that you are satisfied with your selected items before finalizing your order. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
Shipping SchedulesOur amazing staff is working hard to get your plants, seeds and supplies to you on schedule and safely! These are unprecendented times, however, and the rapidly developing public health crisis may cause some shipping delays. At this time, we are not able to make arrangements for early shipping on any order.
- Fedco Seeds estimates that customers are currently receiving their orders within 2 weeks of ordering.
- Fedco Trees has extended their shipping schedule: we will be shipping orders through the end of April.
- Organic Growers Supply estimates that customers are currently receiving their orders within 2–4 weeks of ordering.
- Potatoes, Onions & Exotics expects to have shipped all orders by the end of the first week of May.
Staff Health and Safety
We are committed to offering safe and healthy work experiences for everyone in the Fedco community. In line with the guidance of the US and Maine CDC, we will adjust our practices as this situation unfolds to make sure we are meeting those goals, including:
- Office workers who can work from home are being encouraged to do so.
- Postponing, reducing, and/or eliminating non-essential tasks.
- Rearranging workspaces to facilitate social distancing.
- Increasing regular cleaning and sanitation regimens, encouraging respiratory etiquette and proper hand hygiene.
- Extending extra paid leave to workers and encouraging them to stay home if they or their household members are not well.
What You Can Do To HelpThe most important thing that you can do to help us at this time is to trust that we are busting our buckwheat to get your stuff to you as quickly and safely as possible.
- Please be patient and think cooperatively.
- Please avoid contacting us except for matters of the utmost imporance.
- Please do not contact us just to see when your order will ship. We will keep this page updated with our current shipping schedules and timeframes.
- If you have to contact us, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org instead of calling.
- Check to see if your neighbors are doing OK or need any help.
- Post pictures of your seedlings or crocuses to social media … Spring is happening!