Fedco's Response to COVID-19
Updated Tuesday, January 26, 2021
Fedco is continuing to monitor the spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19) and is taking this threat seriously. As cases increase in Maine, Fedco continues to operate cautiously. Our buildings remain closed to the public. However, curbside pickup (of OGS and Seeds orders) is still an option for folks who preorder. See below for more details. We will keep this page updated as the situation evolves.
Please note: We are experiencing high call volume. Please, only contact us if you absolutely must! If you have questions, please email them to us rather than calling. You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All of our buildings are currently closed to the public. If you are coming for curbside pickup at the Seeds warehouse or curbside pickup or curbside shopping at the OGS warehouse, please be prepared to wait outside while your order is fulfilled for your safety and for ours. As usual, we do not accept orders over the phone.
- Organic Growers' Supply remains open for mail-order and online shopping. You can choose to ship or schedule a date and time to pick up your order. Curbside shopping is available, as well. If curbside shopping, please come prepared with a list of items you wish to purchase. We encourage placing a scheduled pickup order if at all possible: your wait time will be shorter and you won't experience unexpected inventory problems.
- Fedco Seeds is open for business, but with some restrictions to protect the safety of our crew. Please see our special message, below, for more information.
- Fedco Trees is open for mail-order and online shopping. All orders will be shipped on our regular schedule (no pickup orders). There will be no Spring Tree Sale in 2021.
- Potatoes, Onions and Exotics is open for mail-order and online shopping. You can choose to ship or schedule a date to pick up your order (limited slots available). There will be no Spring Tree Sale in 2021.
- Ordering will resume for Fedco Bulbs when we release our 2021 catalog, in mid-June 2021.
A Special Message Regarding Ordering from Fedco Seeds
- We are now accepting orders for vegetable, flower, and herb seeds via waiting list only.
- Using the waiting list gives you ample time to complete your order at a time that fits your schedule — no more noon-time ordering rush!
- If the waiting list is already full, this means we will not have the capacity to fill an order for you for at least three weeks.
- We open up new slots on the waiting list every week, usually on Thursday or Friday.
- To join the waiting list, first visit your cart after adding some items to it: https://fedcoseeds.com/seeds/checkout. If the waiting list is already full, you will see a message asking you to check back later; otherwise, click the "Sign up for our Waiting List" button.
- You will receive an email asking you to confirm your email address. You MUST click on the link in this email to confirm your spot on the waiting list.
- You can build your shopping cart while you’re on the waiting list, but you will not be allowed to check out until it is your turn.
- If you are on the waiting list for more than one week, expect an email about once a week updating you on your status.
- When it is your turn to order, you will receive an email inviting you to place your order. You will have one week to place your order, and you will be allowed to place exactly one order. Please double-check and confirm that you are satisfied with the contents of your cart before checking out. We cannot modify orders once they have been submitted.
- You can remove yourself from the waiting list at any time by clicking the link in your sign-up email.
- Please do not call or email to check your place in line.
- All orders are processed in the order in which they are received. Please do not call or email to check the status of your order unless it has been at least 30 days since you placed your order, as we have been receiving an unprecedented number of calls and emails. We are processing orders as fast as humanly possible and contacting us only slows us down. We are also experiencing some delays and disruptions in shipping that are beyond our control.
- We are unable to change or edit orders that have already been placed, and we cannot add items to existing orders. Please ensure that you are satisfied with your selected items before finalizing your order. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
Customers who live locally may choose "Pickup" as an option when placing orders online within some of Fedco's divisions (OGS, Seeds, POE). When you come to pick up your order, please:
- Wear a mask if you are able to.
- Call the phone number posted on the door of the warehouse where your order is, or ring the doorbell if your order is at the OGS warehouse, to let us know you are here. Then, please wait six feet from the door.
- Have your order number ready to give to the person who answers.
- Be patient while we get it for you and bring it out. Our staff will either leave it for you outside the door, or happily load it for you while you wait in your car.
Staff Health and Safety
We are committed to offering safe and healthy work experiences for everyone in the Fedco community. In line with the guidance of the US and Maine CDC, we will adjust our practices as this situation unfolds to make sure we are meeting those goals, including:
- Encouraging office workers to work from home if they are able to do so.
- Postponing, reducing, and/or eliminating non-essential tasks.
- Rearranging workspaces to facilitate social distancing.
- Increasing regular cleaning and sanitation regimens, encouraging respiratory etiquette and proper hand hygiene.
- Extending extra paid leave to workers and encouraging them to stay home if they or their household members are not well.
What You Can Do To HelpThe most important thing that you can do to help us at this time is to trust that we are busting our buckwheat to get your orders to you as quickly and safely as possible.
- Please be patient and think cooperatively.
- Please avoid contacting us except for matters of the utmost importance.
- Please do not contact us just to see when your order will ship. We will keep this page updated with our current shipping schedules and timeframes.
- If you have to contact us, please email us at email@example.com instead of calling.
- Check to see if your neighbors are doing OK or need any help.
- Post pictures of your gardens and flower beds to social media!